Monday, October 24, 2011

Gothenburg: Con v. Pro


     We had this weekend off from volleyball so Meghan and I took a trip to Gothenburg (Göteborg). It's the second largest city in Sweden. It has a similar population to Kansas City, but about half of the square miles of Kansas City. Oh, did I mention only the Missouri side of Kansas City!? Gothenburg is on the west coast of Sweden. The trip didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked, so I made a pros and cons list to explain this adventure. ...So I have some good news and some bad news. Which do you want to hear first?... The answer is always the bad news first, right? So you can end on the positive. Well, that's what I did here. So enjoy the cons and pros of my adventure to Gothenburg!!!

Cons
1. It was raining and cold the whole time. It was also foggy on Saturday. (See pro 1)
2. Liseberg, the amusement park, was closed until November.
3. Poseidon was ‘at the spa’ until November.
4. Frida Kahlo exhibit didn’t start until after we left.
5. The circus show didn’t start until November.
6. The Gothia Towers’ restaurant was too expensive. (See pro 10)
7. Everything is too expensive. My shrimp sandwich, fries, and a pint of Guinness was 225kr=$37.
8. The hostel. If I listed everything separate this list would be way longer.
            a. It cost 300kr=$50 per person per night.
b. It cost 60kr=$10 to get sheets which included a flat sheet, a duvet cover with no duvet, and a pillowcase with no pillow.
            c. We had to set the room, aka the beds were standing upright on the
            headboards.
            d. The room was freezing! The heaters didn’t work. I slept in pants and a
            sweatshirt.
            e. I used a pair of jeans and a coat as a pillow.
f. It said online that it was close to the centrum. This was a lie. It is about a 30-40 minute walk.
9. Crazy Stupid Love made us lonely. (See pro 6)
10. In order to get the amazing view of the city, we had to climb 195 stairs. (See pro 11)
11. We did so much walking that our bodies are very sore. (See pro 14)
12. Since our bodies were hurting so bad, we agreed that massages would be amazing. When we just so happened to find a spa, we thought it must be fate. Wrong. The spa closed 10 minutes before we got there.
13. We never found the big fish market.
14. The Mid Season Sale was not very good. (See pro 13)
15. I have still not been able to find a pair of black boots that don’t look like riding boots, don’t have a big heel, and are under $100.

Pros
1. I had the pleasure of exploring a new city with a good friend. (See con 1)
2. Gothenburg is wayyy bigger than Ljungby.
3. I finally found a fairly cheap purse and wallet.
4. I ate a delicious shrimp sandwich.
5. We had a free ride to and from Gothenburg.
6. I saw Crazy Stupid Love for the second time and loved it again. (See con 9)
7. Ryan Gosling is so attractive, hot, sexy, you name it.
8. I ate a bagel!!! (Yes, the bagel came with lettuce on it.)
9. I had both Subway and Pizza Hut (mmmmmm stuffed crust).
10. When we went to the restaurant at Gothia Towers, we got a great view of Liseberg lit up at nighttime. (See con 6)
11. It was not foggy on Sunday, and we got an amazing view of the whole city. (See con 10)
12. We found Haga, the old part of town, where we also found Skansen Krona.
13. We went into like 6 different H&M stores. (See con 14)
14. We enjoyed multiple ‘fikas’ to take a break from all the walking. (See con 11)
15. Through all the good and bad, I had fun and lots of laughs and memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment