Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dec. 21- Travel


     It’s finally here!!! Today truly starts my Christmas vacation. We hit the rode at 7:20. Our friend, Joel, was giving us a ride to the airport. I sat in the back and couldn’t really hear much of the conversation. Instead, I spent the 2-hour drive listening to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on my i-pod and sleeping. Joel dropped us off at the train station in Malmo. It is cheaper to take the train across the Sweden-Denmark border than to pay the toll fee.
     Meghan’s and mine first stop at the airport was Starbuck’s! We haven’t had any the whole time that we have been in Sweden. I got my typical chai latte, and it was delicious.
     Meghan went on to her gate. Her flight left at 12:25. My flight on the other hand didn’t leave until 16:45! I was able to print my boarding pass so I decided to go on through security as well. My flight was nowhere close to being on the board yet so I found a random spot to sit and read my book. At 14:00, I decided to get some food. I got a cheeseburger with french fries and a Coke. It cost $30! The surprise of the extreme cost of everything here has started to wear off. I don’t even convert prices anymore to American dollars; I just get what I want and say here take my money.
     It was about 2 hours until my flight left so I decided to go check the screen to see if my flight was up yet. No luck. I found a new place to sit and read. Finally at 15:00 my flight and gate were on the screen! I made my way to my gate. Guess what I did there? I sat and read!
     I finally boarded my plane at 16:00. Once again, on the flight I continued to read. Every time I fly I get Mr. & Mrs. T’s Bloody Mary Mix. When the flight attendants came around with the cart, I ordered my drink. She brought me back my drink and said that it was 20 Danish kroner or $4. She had already handed me my drink so I didn’t want to say I didn’t want it anymore. Once again, I just handed her my credit card and said just take my money.
     I safely landed in Amsterdam. From here, I took a train to Utrecht Centraal train station. Arjen was waiting for me at the train station. It was so nice to see a friend again. We drove back to his house in Tiel, Holland. Dinner was waiting for me when I arrived. I had a typical Dutch winter food, boerenkool, which is potatoes and other vegetables mashed together. I also had some greasy chicken wings to go with the boerenkool. It was all very yummy! I was tired from a long day at the airport so after talking with Arjen and his wife, Alletta, for a while, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment