Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Dec. 27- Paris Day 2


     We awoke our second morning in Paris to find it very foggy. It was foggy the previous morning when we all had arrived, but the day cleared out to be very nice. We would not have such luck today.
     We grabbed some quick breakfast to eat on the train into the city. I think I got the world’s smallest coffee!
We went straight to the Eiffel Tower to try to go up it today.
     It was still quite foggy so we decided to go on to Versailles and hope that the sky would clear up as the day went on. The line to get into Versailles was extremely long! Also there were two very long lines. First, you had to get in line to buy tickets. Then, you had to get in a long line to get into Versailles.
     We decided to split up. Mike’s parents got in the ticket line while the rest of us got in the other line. It worked out perfectly; although, we were still only half way through our line when they rejoined us! The paintings and everything were just incredible. There really aren’t any words to describe how beautiful the palace is. I don’t think my pictures even come close to giving it the proper credit, but here is my attempt!
It was so foggy that we didn't walk around the grounds, but they are huge!
He is a math guy!
Even the doors are cool.
The ceilings are all absolutely amazing.
Hall of Mirrors.
The kids in the Hall of Mirrors.
     We grabbed some lunch again before hopping on the train. This became a very common occurrence. Mike and I got McDonald’s! I was excited because they had this awesome Easy Order station.
You need a credit card with a chip in it. I was so proud that my Swedish card has a chip so we could use it! We placed our order with no problems. I was so excited because we got to skip all the long lines. Within a minute after ordering, we saw the girl start putting our food in a bag. She got our drinks and one burger, but then she took all of it back. I asked and she said that my card didn’t work! I was so upset! So we ended up having to wait in the lines anyways.
     We were then on our way to the Louvre. We found out on our way that the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays! We were disappointed, but we decided that it is still worth it just to go and see the buildings.
     We headed on to the Arc de Triomphe. It is a monument in remembrance of those who fought in the French Revolutionary war. It is in the center of the biggest round a bout I have ever seen. I think it was like 5 lines wide! We did not chance it to get out there, but I was amazed how many people were standing under it. I have no clue how they got out there through all the lanes of busy traffic.
     We grabbed some sandwiches and pizza for dinner so we could make it to the Eiffel Tower on the hour for the sparkling! It is kind of like a seizure Eiffel Tower, but it was definitely worth seeing. I think I was expecting something more like the Christmas lights that go along with the music, but instead it just twinkles.
     It was still very foggy out, but we decided that we would still try going up in the Eiffel Tower. I was excited when we bought our tickets because I was still considered a child! Ok, it was called ‘young’, but still I was excited.
     We didn’t go all the way to the top, but the second story was plenty high enough for me! Have I told you that I am terrified of heights? The elevator ride up was so scary. I did brave it out though and stood at the edge. There was caging that goes all the way up and over your head, but I was still very scared. I couldn’t get very good pictures because it was so foggy and dark, but I am very happy that we still went up in it. It was really cool!
     This next part was one of my favorite parts of the day! We went back to the train station to head back to our hotel. We had to wait a little bit for a train that was heading to where we needed to go. We noticed that there was another train a minute after this first one that was going to the same place. We also noticed it last night when we were going back. The train we took the night before had stopped at every stop. We asked some people if they knew if the second one made all the stops as well. No one knew the answer. We decided to chance it and wait for the second train! There is a board that lights up for the next train and shows all the stops that it is making. All seven of us were standing around the board crossing our fingers for an express train and saying com’on com’on! As soon as the board lite up we all started cheering like we won the lottery! We were all so excited! I wish I could have gotten a video of all of us waiting and celebrating. It would have been great.
     We took our express train back to the hotel. Mike’s sisters and grandma headed to bed. Mike, his parents, and I went to the hotel bar to have a beer. It was a great end to the trip with them, just sitting around talking and having a drink! I am so happy that it ended up working out for me to see the Milligan family. I really can’t explain how happy it made me to spend time with great friends from home!
     The following morning, they headed on to Venice, Italy. I was heading back to Sweden. I had such an amazing trip in Holland and France. I could have definitely had a longer vacation, but I was definitely refreshed and ready for the second half of my stay in Sweden!
Thank you so much to everyone who helped me during this trip!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer about the Louvre! Yeah, weird days off here in Paris. Honestly, your Eiffel Tower fog pictures are pretty cool! And just FYI for next time, I'm fairly certain you can get to the Arc de Triomphe by walking UNDER the largest roundabout in Paris! How about I show you next time you come?! :)

    ReplyDelete