Sunday, November 13, 2011

This Week's Volleyball


We had two matches this week. Unfortunately, we lost both of them. Here is a little information about each match.

     Thursday, we lost to Hylte/Halmstad, 26-28 25-21 25-22 23-25 17-19. As the scores show, it was a close match the whole time. We started out the 5th set down 1-5. We were down for most of the set including 9-12, but we got back into it tying the game at 14-14. We had 2 match point opportunities that we did not convert on. The game was tied again at 17-17. Our outside hitter had two errors (blocked and tipping a ball into the antennae) that ended the match. Throughout the match, Hylte/Halsmstad was putting up a triple block against me. I don’t think I have ever been triple blocked before! It didn’t stop me though as I had 20 kills for the match. This is without a doubt my career high kills. They don’t keep track of hitting attempts. I’m not sure how many total attempts I had, but I did have 5 errors (2-3 of which were bad connection). I scored a total of 24 points this match. Our rightside got the MVP award though. She was given a bottle of Champagne.
     Saturday, we lost to Lindesberg, 18-25 16-25 20-25. This loss was much easier to take than Thursday’s loss. I was upset after Thursday’s match because I felt like we had opportunities to win, but we didn’t take advantage of it. We should have won on Thursday. The match against Lindesberg was a different case. They are a better team than us right now. They have an American coach, and he runs the team a lot like an American collegiate team. They ran a very fast offense, and they got a swing every time the ball came on their side of the net. We also had way too many of our own errors! We had 12 service errors and were aced 8 times. As a team, we hit .037 for the match! As a team, we had 18 kills with 15 errors. I don’t think it is necessary to say this, but that is not good! I was one of three people on our team to be in the positive, meaning I had more kills than errors. I had 7 kills in 14 attempts with 1 error (.429 hitting percentage). One of our outsides had 1 kill in 11 attempts (.091). Meghan had 3 kills in 6 attempts with 1 error (.333). Our other outside had 2 kills in 18 attempts with 4 errors (-.111), and our rightside had 3 kills in 20 attempts with 6 errors (-.150). With all of that being said, we did remain calm during the whole match and didn’t freak out. We kept our mental composure. Now if we could keep that composure and perform better, we would be in much better shape. Meghan got the MVP award for our team this match. She got flowers, a backpack, and a 300kr ($50) gift card to a sporting goods store. I also found out that someone picks the MVP award; it is not solely based on the statistics. There is also a statistic that is called “vote”. I have no clue how this statistic is calculated. But if anyone out there knows, please inform me! I really want to figure it out.
     The worst part about yesterday was the travel. We got on the bus at 6am to drive to Lindesberg. With a couple stops (including a 30 minute mandatory stop for our driver), it took a total of 6 hours to get there! I tried to sleep for most of the trip, but I wasn’t very successful. We ate lunch when we got to the gym before getting ready for the match. The match started at 2pm. We were back on the bus leaving for home by 4pm! After another 6-hour journey, we were finally home safe and sound.

Our next match is not until November 26th against Engelholms at home. We have two weeks now to work hard in practice, before we compete again!

No comments:

Post a Comment