Sunday, September 4, 2011

Min Fördelsedagen! and the rest of the weekend

     Friday, we were awoken by a phone call, but it was the best phone call imaginable. My suitcase would be arriving at 2pm today! If you know me very well at all, you know that I am not a morning person whatsoever. It was a different story today though. Once Meghan told me the news, I jumped out of bed and was wide-awake. My bag safely arrived an hour later than we were told, but I was too happy to care. We did not have practice so all we had the rest of the day was fika! Fika is a common Swedish word basically meaning meeting for coffee. We all met at Roddy’s for coffee and pastries. The team all knew that the next day was my birthday so they gave me a birthday present! They gave me a giftcard to a clothing store in town called Vero Moda. I can’t wait to go shopping now! We also learned that it is very common in Ljungby to eat tacos on Fridays. Since everyone else was talking about going home to make tacos, Meghan and I decided that we should stop at Maxi’s (grocery store) to get stuff to make our own tacos. I copied off Robin McCoy (missionary in Thailand from my home church) and brought Taco Bell seasoning packets with me, but the grocery store here actually has Mexican seasoning as well. After our delicious Friday tacos, we went to our teammate Lisa’s apartment to watch the Swedish futbol game. They lost, but it was nice to meet some other people in town. We attempted to go to sleep when we got back, but still struggled with the time change and finally passed out around 5am here.
     Saturday was my birthday!!! We slept in late, but Meghan made me a special birthday breakfast of bread with Nutella and sliced bananas that said “23”. We were supposed to work out on Saturday so we got our map and started on our attempt to find the training center. After about 2 hours of walking, we were back where we started. We never found the TC though. This was about the time that we got a text from Lisa asking if we wanted to party. Our response was YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! We went to dinner at Adonis where we got kebabs that were delicious! We went to one of Lisa’s friend’s apartment that was having a party. We had shots of Mintu, which made me feel like I was back at Green Street Cafe having Rumple Minze! After a while we head over to Harry’s, which is the one and only bar in Ljungby. For you Champaign people, I would compare it to a smaller and quieter Firehaus. It was a lot of fun though because everyone was so excited that the Americans were there! I also got free drinks by using the line “it’s my birthday”, and Meghan got free drinks by using the line “I’m an American”. Just like a typical night in Champaign, when the bar closes, we head to the pizza place. We went back to Adonis; it’s no One World, but it was delicious pizza. It was an overall GREAT birthday! I was very happy that I was able to Skype with my parents and friends since I couldn’t spend the day with them.
     Once again the time zone won… I finally went to sleep around 630am. This had a drastic effect on my Sunday meaning I slept until about 230pm. I only woke up then because Meghan and I were going to our club’s junior team practice. Meghan gave them tips on setting while I talked to them about hitting. It was nice to get out and help out these younger girls. We will definitely go back to some of their other practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment